As of January 1, 2022, the Library will stop charging overdue fines for most Brighton materials.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Fine – Free (PDF):
- What if I misplaced an item and can’t return it? Did the Library eliminate replacement fees?
- You are still responsible for fees associated with the replacement of lost or damaged materials on your account. Items are considered lost on the 21st day overdue and users will be billed replacement fees for those items at that point. Damaged materials are also assessed a replacement fee. If the item is not paid for or returned, the account will be referred to a collection agency and a non-negotiable $10 fee is assessed to cover costs we incur pursuing collection action.
- What happens if I don’t return my items by the due date?
- Your card will be blocked when one or more items reach 21 days overdue.
- What about mobile hotspots, Chromebooks, Kindles, or Library of Things materials?
- Due to the high replacement costs, these items will still incur a fine of $5 per day overdue.
- I didn’t really lose these items; can I still bring them back? Yes! Lost fees will automatically be removed from your account and you’ll be back to borrowing.
- What about old overdue fines? Overdue fines assessed for late materials belonging to Brighton District Library have been eliminated and removed from accounts as of January 1, 2022. However, patrons who have lost or damaged materials will still need to settle their account to reinstate borrowing privileges. If you have overdue fines for materials borrowed from another library, those fines will remain on your account. The easiest way to find out if you have a remaining balance is to login to your account at catalog.tln.lib.mi.us or visit the Library.
**Introducing Auto-Renewals Starting October 1, 2020, materials checked out on your card will automatically renew before their due date, saving you time and late fees.
Items will auto-renew if:
- The item does not have holds
- The item has not reached its limit of 2 renewals
- Your account does not have blocks preventing renewals
- It is an item that is eligible for renewals
Frequently Asked Questions
- When do auto-renewals occur?
Auto-renewals will occur 3 days before an item’s due date. You will still receive your full loan period, as the renewal period is added at the end of the original loan.
- What if an item doesn’t auto-renew?
If an item cannot be renewed, you will receive a due date reminder by your chosen notification method (email, text or phone). Please return items by the due date so that other library patrons can enjoy them and to avoid accruing late fees.
Most items may be renewed a maximum of two times.
No renewals are allowed on any item that is on reserve for another patron.
Items owned by other libraries are subject to their renewal policies.
Online Renewal- you may still manually renew items if you would like:
Login to My Account (you will need your card number and PIN).
Click the “Patron Record” button to view the list of items that you have checked out.
You can either put a check mark in each box for items you wish to renew, then click on “Renew Selected Items”, OR you can simply click on the box “Renew All.”
Online renewal is available 24 hours/day, seven days/week.
24 hour Phone Renewal – Dial Toll Free – (888) 672-8983
Renew materials and check your library record by phone! Use your library card, PIN and touchtone phone.
A numeric PIN is required for this transaction. If you do not know your pin, please call us at 810-229-6571, select “0” from the menu and we can assist you.
Call the Library Directly
810-229-6571, select “0” from the menu and we will assist you.