Below are some online resources for teens to explore during the Covid-19 pandemic curated by the Brighton District Library Teen Services Librarian.
Games and Boredom Busters
- 25 Things to do in Isolation BINGO Card
- Roll20– Online virtual tabletop for roleplayers
- DIY Telestrations Game- It’s telephone and pictionary combined. You can easily do this at home with paper and pencils.
- Printable Board Games– Some free educational printable board and card based games and some that are just for fun.
- Discord– Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text, whether you’re part of a school club, a nightly gaming group, a worldwide art community, or just a handful of friends that want to hang out.Typically used for gaming, but you can set up your own server for whatever you like.
- Harry Potter: History of Magic Quiz (short quiz)
- Harry Potter: History of Magic Quiz (Long quiz)
Books and Literature
- Overdrive/Libby– Downloadable books and audiobooks available with library card
- RBDigital– Downloadable Audiobooks, available with library card.
- Hoopla– Downloadable books, Graphic Novels, Audiobooks, music, and movies available with library card.
- Project Gutenberg– Free Ebook copies of classic literature (published before 1923). No library card required.
- Ebsco High School Ebook Collection- Collection of downloadable ebooks. No library card needed if accessing from a Michigan IP address.
- Ebsco Poetry and Short Story Collections– Collection of Short Stories and poetry you can read online. No library required if accessing from a Michigan IP address.
- Riveted by Simon Teen– Free Teen ebooks and excerpts from new teen books, books recs, and book related quizzes.
- Epic Reads– Teen book recommendations, related video, quizzes and articles.
- Harry Potter: History of Magic– The British Museum has made their History of Magic Exhibit available online via Google Arts and Culture
- Comixology– Offering free marvel comic downloads during the pandemic.
- Webtoon– Webtoon offers tons of free webcomics to sort through. Many of the series are ongoing and release new issues on a weekly basis. There are even some comic retellings of YA Novels (Wrath of the Dawn, Not Even Bones)
- Neal Shustersman: – Youtube– Currently doing video readings of his short stories on youtube. Neal is the author of the popular Scythe trilogy, Unwind series, and many more.
- Stephanie Garber- Instagram- The author of the Caraval trilogy posts fanart and has been doing some instagram live Q & A sessions and interviewing other authors.
Study and Research
- Mango Languages- Language Learning lessons at home, requires Brighton District Library Card.
- Brighton Library Research Databases– Various databases on various topics. Check out these databases to find research articles.
- Learning Express Library: College Admissions Test Prep– Includes practice ACT/SAT tests, TOEFL, Admissions Essay help, AP Exam prep and more.
- Learning Express Library: School Center- Learning exercises and skill improvement for Math, Science, Technology, Social Studies, and Language Arts for Middle School and High School.
- Tony Diterlizzi Draw-a-thon- Illustrator Tony Diterlizzi is doing live drawing everyday at 3pm EST via Facebook Live. Past videos are available on his page.
- Let’s Make Art- Hour long watercolor paint along tutorials.
- Art Sherpa– Acrylic and watercolor livestreams and video painting tutorials.
- Everyday Drawing Challenge List– A list of art prompts to create drawings from for everyday of the year.
- Lourve Museum Online Tour
- Quarantine Art Club– Illustrator Carson Ellis has started a Quarantine Art Club where a prompt/assignment is given each day. Ellis then chooses some of the submission to feature on Instagram.
- Make– Offers video arts and crafts lessons and posts various craft projects you can work on
- Nikon camera- Nikon is offering free online photography classes until April 30th.
Science & Technology
- The SciShow- Youtube science channel with lots of great accessible science information.
- Hour of Code– Learning Coding through games and projects.
- Disney Imagineering in a Box- Kahn Academy is offering a free online course to learn skills for becoming a Disney Imagineer.
- NASA– for grades 9-12 activities
Virtual Tours/Live Cams (Museums, nature centers, etc)
- National Park Tours
- Wolf Conservation Center Webcams
- Toledo Zoo webcams
- Virtual Disney Rides
- NYS Parks Virtual Tours
- Canada’s Wonderland Virtual Roller coaster Rides
- Carlsbad Caverns Virtual Tour
- Explore the World’s Wonders
- EXPLORE Live Cams
- Mystic Seaport
- San Diego Zoo Live Cams
- Arts & Culture W/Google (National Parks)
- National Geographic Kids
- Yellowstone National Park Virtual Tours