*Note: The above images are architectural renderings and may not accurately represent the actual finishes and furnishings in the completed renovation.
Library Renovation Project
For the last two years the Brighton District Library Board of Trustees, along with the Library Management Team, have spent a considerable amount of time assessing the current space configuration of our facility. The Library was originally built in 1996 and the Brighton community has grown exponentially since that time. In its present state, the Library has significant space limitations, an aging HVAC system, and is outdated in its décor and configuration.
With the assistance of our architects, Daniels and Zermack, an extensive space needs assessment was conducted. This assessment evaluated the Library’s collection size, staff workflows, and the usage of the facility by our patrons, including patrons’ needs and desires as determined by a patron survey. The outcome of the assessment included a comprehensive reconsideration of how the space could be used more effectively.
The majority of funding for this renovation project came from the Library’s operating millage increase, passed with overwhelming support of the community in November 2015. Since that time, the Library has been aggressively saving to fund the renovations.
The Library plans to remain OPEN throughout the renovation.
Much needed improvements to the exterior of the building and grounds began in 2017 with new restrooms, handicapped access to the garden, a new roof, new parking lot and landscaping. The Library now has the opportunity to refurbish and rethink the current layout of our 23,000 square foot facility. The Library will begin renovating approximately 90% of our facility in June 2019. The majority of renovations will occur in phases over a 5 month period, ending in October 2019. The Board of Trustees and Library staff believe these renovations will create a patron centered facility that is aesthetically pleasing, comfortable, and functional.
Interior renovation will provide:
- An expanded youth area that encourages imaginative and interactive play for younger children, as well as an engaging space for older children.
- A teen area with flexible space that can be adapted to conduct a range of learning activities and programs.
- Three additional study rooms.
- Upgrades to our Reading Room, including a fireplace and ADA compliant and adaptable seating.
- The creation of a “quiet wing” in our facility that caters to patrons’ requests for more space to research and study.
- A patron focused one-point of service desk at the center of our atrium that provides efficiencies when needing staff assistance.
- A reconfiguration of our Art Gallery and updates to our main Meeting Room that will provide additional opportunities to better utilize those spaces.
- Reconfiguration of staff workspaces to provide more space efficiencies.
- Updated carpeting and wall coverings/paint throughout the entire facility.
- Reconsidered lighting throughout the facility.
- Self Check Out and Self-Serve holds.
- Extensive upgrades to the Library’s HVAC system.
If you have questions or feedback about our renovation project, please contact Library Director Cindy Mack at 810-229-6571, ext. 203 or firstname.lastname@example.org